India is a diverse nation comprising of various religions and predominant religions. Hinduism is divided into castes wherein an upper class and lower class have been categorized in a way that lower caste should not face social injustice so in the year 1979, the Mandal commission headed by Bindeshwari Prasad Mandal, was formed which was the second backward class commission to identify the socially and educationally backward classes of India. the OBC certificate was used to define those backward classes of india.
What is the creamy and non-creamy layer?
A creamy layer can be termed as a relatively better off, educated, and forward class of the other backward classes. They are not sponsored by the government’s educational or professional benefit program. The term was given by the Sattanathan Commission in 1971 and directed that the creamy layer should be excluded from quotas of civil posts as they are better off. OBC creamy layers do not get any benefit anymore in various fields. They are treated the same way as the general category is treated.
A non-creamy layer of the Other backward classes is considered an underprivileged class than the creamy layer of the other backward class who are wealthier and better off. The non-creamy layer class is not very socially/economically advanced as the creamy layer of the Other backward class.
Why do you need a Non-creamy layer certificate?
A non-creamy layer certificate which is also known as other backward class certificates (OBC) was introduced in the year 1993 by former Prime minister VP Singh. People holding this certificate get an advantage of certain allocation in top institutes like IIM and IIT. Along with this, they are also allocated central government as well as jobs in public sectors if they hold this certificate. The validation of the certificate is for one year, and it starts from the very day of receiving it.
For an individual to qualify a person of a non-creamy layer of an OBC applicant’s parent’s income must be less than 8 lac rupees. The salary and agricultural income are not counted as an income for calculating annual income for creamy layer status. People holding this obc certificate are also granted relaxation in terms of attempts and age exemption for various competitive exams. A non-creamy layer certificate is a must for all those individuals seeking reservations in central government posts or services as OBC to confirm/her status and to get a certificate.
You might also like to read about the “Experience certificate“
Eligibility criteria for Non-creamy layer Certificate
Below is the Eligibility Criteria for obtaining the non-creamy layer certificate to ensure that the right and deserving people get the certificate.
1. The Applicant applying must be a citizen of India.
2. Only people belonging to the non-creamy layer can apply for this certificate and not the ones who are belonging to the creamy layer.
3. Applicant should carry their OBC/MOBC Certificate which has been issued by the competent authority.
4. Applicant must fulfill all the conditions laid down in the OM No.36012/22/93- Esst (SCT) dtd. 08.09.1993 and OM No.1/2008-UIA dtd. 13.10.2008 issued by the Govt. of India.
Fees structure for deriving the OBC certificate
The fees structure is as follows
1. Service Charge is Rs.30/-
2. Printing Charge is Rs 10/- (Not required for a Senior Citizen)
3. Scanning Charges Rs 5/ per page (Not required for a Senior Citizen)
Documents Required for obtaining the non-creamy layer certificate
The application should include the following documents to be submitted:
1. Permanent residential certificate or any other proof of residency.
2. OBC/MOBC certificate issued by a competent authority.
3. Income certificate of parents from the Circle Officer if they are agriculturists/ Income certificate from controlling authority/ Treasury Officer if they are retired, salaried persons
4. Up-to-date land revenue and a paid receipt for 3(three) years.
If anyone doesn’t have the income tax reports available or needs consultancy on the same, they can reach DailyFiling where our experts would be more than happy to help you out. Also, our income tax consultant fees are budget-friendly as we believe in keeping our services convenient for everyone.
Steps to Apply for obtaining the non-creamy layer certificate:
1. Once receiving the application and all required/attached papers, the Designated Public Servant will transmit the application to the concerned Circle Officer for his report within 5 working days.
2. The Circle Officer will submit his report within 20 working days of receiving the application from the DC/DSO after field verification of the facts by the DC/SDO (Civil) office.
3. Within 5 days after receiving the report, the designated Public Servant will issue or refuse the Certificate based on the report of a concerned Circle Officer. The entire procedure of issuing the Non-Creamy Layer Certificate will take no more than 30 business days.
These were the steps to be followed and everything that an individual needs to know about a non-creamy layer obc certificate and the benefits attached to the same for underprivileged people only in order to avoid the benefits being misused by other sections of the society.