In India, liquor is sold in bars, pubs, and restaurants, thus if you want to open your own bar or restaurant, you’ll need a liquor license because selling alcoholic beverages without a valid license is prohibited and punishable by the law. So, according to liquor laws, a wine shop license or permit is required.
What does a wine shop license put in regulation?
A wine shop license or regular liquor license regulates all these following factors:
1. Which businesses can sell alcohol?
2. When and where(places) the companies can sell alcohol?
3. The Quantity of the alcohol being sold
4. The Charges associated with the alcohol being sold
5. The Type of alcohol being sold
6. Who can you sell the alcohol to?
7. Who has the authority for manufacturing and distribution of the alcohol?
8. Time constraints for selling Liquor.
Different types of liquor licenses
1. Beer and Wine Shop License: Only light alcoholic beverages, such as beer and wine, are sold, rather than powerful alcoholic beverages.
2. Restaurant Liquor License or All-Liquor License: If the restaurant’s alcohol sales do not exceed 40% of total revenue, this license is granted.
3. Tavern Liquor License: This is for businesses who rely on the sale of alcoholic beverages for 50% of their revenue.
4. Brewpub Liquor License: This license is for persons who want to make or brew their own wine or beer.
5. Wholesale liquor license (L1): This license permits you to sell liquor to other licensees.
6. L3/L5: Allows hotels to provide foreign liquor to its guests in their rooms or bars.
7. L6: Indian alcoholic beverages and beers retailers.
8. L19: All clubs serving alcoholic beverages from other countries.
9. L49: For individuals planning to offer alcohol at a party.
10. L-9: This is for retail sales of foreign liquor.
11. L-10: This is for the retailing of liquor in India and overseas.
12. P-13: To hotels for supplying foreign alcoholic beverages on special occasions.
13. P-10: To provide alcohol at a certain event or occasion in the city.
Also read about “Non-creamy Layer (OBC) Certificate“
Documents Requirement for wine shop license in India
While each state has its own set and guidelines of necessary documents, here is a general list of documents one will need to get a wine shop license in India.
1. Identity Proof of the applicant.
2. Address proof of the applicant.
3. Address proof of the premise/business for operating liquor business
4. A Municipal corporation’s and Fire Department’s NOC
5. An application with all personal and business details
6. An MOA and AOA for companies
7. Latest ITR copy attached
8. Photograph of the applicant.
9. An affidavit ensuring that the applicant has no past criminal records
10. An affidavit confirming that the applicant has no pending dues.
Procedure to get a wine shop License
Below is the procedure to get a wine shop license in India. Getting a wine shop license is different from than company registration process, therefore it is important that you understand the proceedings closely and see how it takes place.
Because each state has its unique set of rules governing the sale and consumption of alcohol, consulting an attorney before applying for a license is recommended.
1. First, you must determine the type or class of license you require.
2. You must then go to the official website of the State Excise Department.
3. A Wine Shop License application form must be downloaded from the internet.
4. The form must be duly filled with the required details, such as type of liquor, premises for the business, type of license, and background details.
5. Submission of the form along with the necessary supporting documents to the concerned authority.
6. Payment of the prescribed application fee at the time of submission.
7. The state authority will double-check and verify all of the information provided, and it may request further information if necessary.
8. You will receive a notification with the information of your license at your business or personal address post verification. Localities can object to the notification displayed.
9. If an objection is raised, you must construct a defense system to protect your right to open a wine shop, and if all goes well, you will be granted a liquor license.
Funds required for obtaining a wine shop license
The following factors influence the price of a wine store license in India and the cost of acquiring a wine license:
1. The licensing type
2. The nature of the incidence, if applicable
3. The company’s nature
The following is the average cost of various licenses in India:
Temporary Liquor License: This is for small parties or gatherings in towns with fewer than 20,000 residents.
>For groups of less than 100 persons, INR 7,000.
>INR 10,000 for a group of more than 100 people
>An FL-4 license costs around INR 13,000 to organize a booze-filled celebration in a resort or private home.
A Permit Room License:
>INR 5,44,000 to operate in the permit offices
>INR 1,50,000 for restaurants and wine and beer stores
State Liquor License: State liquor licenses cost anything from INR 5000 to INR 15000, depending on the state.
The annual license fee in Tier-1 cities is roughly INR 10 lakhs.
The annual license fee in Tier-2 cities is roughly INR 7.5 lakhs.
The annual license fee in Tier-3 cities is roughly INR 5 lakhs.
The annual license fee in Tier-4 cities is roughly INR 2.5 lakhs.
So If you are looking to get a Liquor license in India then get through these terms to avoid any issues. We are one of the leading income tax consultants in Jaipur who can help you with all your billings. In case, you need any assistance feel free to contact us in the comments.